Tip of the Day

[Not birth-related at all.]

If you or someone you know gets stung by a bee, wasp, etc., put bleach on the spot to help ease the sting. I learned that at the pharmacy — the pharmacist said that since bleach is a base and the bee sting is an acid, then the bleach neutralizes the sting. But you have to do it very quickly in order for it to work — it won’t work if you do it the next day, or probably even several hours afterwards.

I’ve already had to use this twice this week for my older son. The first time, he stepped on a “house-fly-bee” (a black wasp or hornet) — I guess just to see what it would do?? Maybe he thought it was just a different kind of housefly, so he thought he was doing good to sneak up on it like that. The second time (which I think was the next day, but at most two days after) he was in our little kiddie pool and something stung him on his arm. So, I applied bleach and let it sit for a while, then washed it off, then put on some Benadryl cream. He never mentioned it again. Maybe now he’s learned his lesson to keep away from houseflybees. 🙂

Obviously, this doesn’t take into account if you’re deathly allergic to bee stings. Get thee to a hospital in that case!


4 Responses

  1. So I guess this means you shouldn’t pee on a bee sting? Or am I confusing that treatment with another type of animal sting? 🙂

  2. Nice! I’ll remember that!!

  3. RR — that’s a new one on me! 🙂

  4. Clay and baking soda help as well 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: